THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS 2016 (As amended)
NOTICE UNDER REGULATION 28(4)
WESSEX WATER: FONTHILL BISHOP WTW
Site name and reference: Fonthill Bishop Works T33081000
Supply System name and reference: Shaftesbury (Zone 101) Y440000101
Legal Instrument Database Reference number: WSX-2018-00001
THE SECRETARY OF STATE:
- has received a report from Wessex Water (the “Company”) dated 29 November 2017 (the “Report”) which states that there is or has been a significant risk of supplying water from Fonthill Bishop Works that could constitute a potential danger to human health.
- GIVES NOTICE to the Company under regulation 28(4) of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2018 (as amended) that it must satisfy the following requirements:
For risks associated with:
(a) to maintain the following measures for the period specified in each case
Date: For the duration of notice
- Continuation of catchment management activities.
- Maintain site operating procedures and training documentation.
- Routine maintenance: On line monitors to be maintained as per company procedures and as per manufacturers guidelines.
- Water quality monitor data reviewed, and appropriate process changes made and recorded.
- Auto shutdown on the treated water on nitrate levels falling outside expected levels.
- Review and adjust auto shutdown trigger as appropriate to protect consumer health and comply with regulatory requirements.
- The water entering supply must meet the requirements of the regulations at all times and there should be the ability to quarantine or dispose of water not meeting the standards.
- Routine operational and regulatory water quality sampling of the raw and treated water. Any resultoutside of acceptable limits to be recorded and investigated.
- Increase water quality sampling frequency in response to results detected outside of acceptable limits.
- Operational borehole selection to enable isolation of individual boreholes.
- Maintain temporary nitrate blending facility.
- Maintain site specific nitrate plan.
- Advise health authorities of any exceedances of the prescribed concentration value for nitrate.
(b) to review, revise and/or make operational the following measures, by the date specified below
- Complete detailed design and associated enablement work for blending facilities for water from Fonthill Bishop water treatment works; including the high nitrate pipeline for blending at Littledown SR. This work will include major pipeline works, alterations at East Knoyle, a blending arrangement at Littledown and relocation of the disinfection process from Fonthill works to Littledown SR.
Date: 31 May 2022
- Complete, make operational and maintain thereafter the program of works in (b)1 for water from Fonthill Bishop water treatment works to ensure compliance with water quality standards.
Date: 31 March 2024
(c) to audit whether the measures have been effective by the following means:
- Define an audit strategy for auditing the effectiveness of the measures including blending of nitrate and relocation of the point of disinfection made operational above in (b)1.
Date: 30 June 2022
- Implement the audit strategy until revocation of the notice.
Date: Until the revocation of this Notice
(d) not to supply water for regulation 4(1) purposes from Fonthill Bishop Works unless the conditions specified below are satisfied
(e) to provide the following information in the time and manner specified below to enable monitoring of progress towards the mitigation of the risk of supplying water that would constitute a potential danger to human health:
- Provide a progress report annually by 31 January and against the following milestones:
- Provide a report regarding the audit strategy defined in (c).
Date: 30 June 2022
- Submit improvement programme scope following completion of detailed design and planning permission approval.
Date: 30 June 2022
- Submit a report following completion of construction.
Date: 30 April 2024
- Review the risk assessment for Fonthill Bishop water treatment works as required by Regulation 27(4) or 28(4) and subsequently submit a revised regulation 28 report.
Date: 31 May 2024
- Submit a satisfactory completion report.
Date: 30 April 2025
Failure by the Company to comply with this Notice may result in enforcement proceedings under section 18 of the Act.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Deputy Chief Inspector
10 July 2019
DWI ref: WSX-2018-00001