RADIOACTIVTY MONITORING OF WATER SUPPLIES
NOTICE UNDER REGULATION 6(14) OF THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS (WALES) 2018 (“THE REGULATIONS”)
- This notice is made by the Welsh Ministers under the power in regulation 6(14) of the Regulations. It takes effect from 01 October 2018 and will expire on 30 September 2023.
- Regulation 6(9) to (17) of the Regulations relate to the monitoring by water companies of radioactive substances (namely indicative dose, radon and tritium) in the water supply zones they supply. This monitoring must be conducted in accordance with the parameters table set out in Schedule 2 of the Regulations (“the Schedule 2 table”).
- Regulation 6(14) of the Regulations provides that the Welsh Ministers may, by notice, confirm that one or more radioactive substances need not be monitored by a water company for the period specified in the notice. Such confirmation is given only if the Welsh Ministers have established that one or more of the parameters is not likely to be present in a water supply zone in concentrations which could exceed the prescribed concentration or value in the Schedule 2 table.
- Based on the evidence presented by Hafren Dyfrdwy, the Welsh Ministers have established that the water supplied to the water supply zones listed in the Schedule to this Notice contains levels of total indicative dose , Tritium and Radon that are below the prescribed concentration or value in the Schedule 2 table.
- Accordingly, for the period the Notice has effect, Hafren Dyfrdwy need not conduct regulatory monitoring for total indicative dose , Tritium and Radon for the sites listed in the Schedule.
- Pursuant to regulation 6(16) of the Regulations, the Welsh Ministers must, in writing, inform Hafren Dyfrdwy that this notice no longer applies if they are no longer satisfied that the levels of radon, tritium or the calculated indicative dose in the water supply zone remain below the respective parametric values in the Schedule 2 table.
Chief Inspector of Drinking Water, for the Welsh Ministers
06 September 2019
Ref: HDC-2019-00001 V2