THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS 2016 (AS AMENDED)
NOTICE UNDER REGULATION 28(4)
Bristol Water Plc: Clevedon Water Treatment Works
Site name and reference: Clevedon Water Treatment Works T09
Supply system name and reference: Clevedon Supply System Y07
Legal Instrument Database Reference number: BRL4092
THE SECRETARY OF STATE:
- has on 22 June 2018 received a report from Bristol Water Plc (the “Company”) dated 29 March 2018 which states that there is or has been a significant risk of supplying water from Clevedon Water Treatment Works that could constitute a potential danger to human health.
- GIVES NOTICE to the Company under regulation 28(4) of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016 (as amended) that it must satisfy the following requirement:
For risks associated with:
- The Company are required to satisfy the following;
(a) to maintain the following measure[s] for the period specified
- That Clevedon works remains out of supply until the risks associated with Cryptosporidium are mitigated. Before Clevedon works is returned to supply by the date listed in the notice, or earlier, an application under regulation 15 should be made to the Inspectorate.
Date: 28 February 2023
(b) to review, revise or make operational the following measure[s], by the date specified below:
- Install and commission a validated UV system which meets the requirements of DWI Guidance and is suitable for the inactivation of Cryptosporidium oocysts.
Date: 28 February 2023
- Provide appropriate training for all staff who will be required to operate or maintain or interpret data associated with the UV treatment stage at Clevedon works.
Date: 31 May 2023
(c) to audit whether the measures have been effective by the following means:
- Define an audit strategy to monitor the effectiveness of the measures specified in sections (a) and (b).
Date: 31 August 2022
- Implement, and keep under continuous review, the audit strategy defined in requirement 1, section (c) and the measures outlined below as ongoing from the date that the UV system is made operational:
Date: 28 February 2023
- The UVT and turbidity of the water at the inlet to the UV reactor(s) to be monitored and recorded continuously with suitable alarms and shutdowns.
- The UV intensity to be monitored and recorded continuously with suitable alarms and shutdowns.
- A validated UV dose of at least 40 mJ/cm2 will be maintained at all times with suitable alarms and shutdowns.
- All UV system equipment will be maintained and operated in line with the manufacturers’ and company specifications.
(d) not to supply water for regulation 4(1) purposes from Clevedon Treatment Works unless the conditions specified above are satisfied
- Clevedon Works to remain out of supply until completion of requirement (b) 1.
(e) to provide the following information in the time and manner specified below to enable monitoring of progress towards the mitigation of the risk of supplying water that would constitute a potential danger to human health:
- Provide a progress report annually by 31 January and against the following milestones:
- Outline design and tender preparation.
- Tender issue, evaluation, and contract awarded.
- Provide a report confirming completion of the installation and commissioning of a validated UV system at Clevedon works, as required under measure (b) 1.
Date: 31 March 2023
- Submit a risk assessment report under Regulation 15 (1) (b) for Clevedon WTW raw water for a source that has not been used for 6 months preceding the date that the company intend to supply water from it.
Date: 31 December 2022
- Provide a report evidencing the implementation of training of relevant staff with the UV system at Clevedon works, as required in measure (b) 2.
Date: 30 June 2023
- Submit the strategy for auditing the effectiveness of the measures as specified in (c) 1.
Date: 30 September 2022
- Submit any revisions of the audit strategy produced measure (c) 2.
Date: Within 1 month of a revision
- Submit a report in the event that any completed measure of this notice needs to be altered in any way for any reason.
Date: ongoing for the duration of this notice
- Submit a satisfactory completion report accompanied by a revised regulation 28(1) report with Board level Director sign off.
Date: 30 April 2024
Further requirements of this Notice
4. Any product or substance used as a result of the requirements in this Notice must comply with regulation 31.
5. Under regulation 28(6) the Inspectorate, on behalf of the Secretary of State, may by notice served on the Company, revoke or vary this Notice.
6. Failure by the Company to comply with this Notice may result in enforcement proceedings under section 18 of the Water Industry Act 1991 (as amended).
7. Contravention of a regulation 28(4)(d) requirement is an offence under regulation 33(1). If guilty of such an offence, the Company is liable on summary conviction, or on conviction on indictment, to a fine. Under regulation 33(2) it is a defence for the Company to show that it took all reasonable steps and exercised all due diligence to avoid the commission of the offence.
Deputy Chief Inspector, on behalf of the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
09 February 2022
DWI ref: BRL4092