Notice of Regulation: Portsmouth Water – All Catchments
THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS 2016 (AS AMENDED)
NOTICE UNDER REGULATION 27(4)
Portsmouth Water Ltd: All Catchments Risk Assessments
Corresponding Water Supply System Reference
Havant and Bedhampton Springs catchment
CHAS and CBH
River Itchen (Gators Mill) catchment
Lower Upham catchment
West Meon catchment
Worlds End catchment
West Street catchment
1 Woodmancote catchment is not included as the Company have indicated this is long term out of supply; the Company should notify the Inspectorate as soon as reasonably practicable if this changes and comply with requirements necessary under regulation 15.
- Regulation 27(2) of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016(as amended) (“the Regulations”) requires every water undertaker or combined licensee to carry out a risk assessment of each of its treatment works and connected supply system in order to establish whether there is a significant risk of supplying water from those works or supply system that would constitute a potential danger to human health. Regulation 27(3) requires every water undertaker or combined licensee to keep its risk assessments under continuous review.
- The Drinking Water Inspectorate (“the Inspectorate”) on behalf of the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (“the Secretary of State”) hereby gives Notice, under regulation 27(4) of the Regulations, to Portsmouth Water Ltd (“the Company”) to carry out and review (as appropriate) the risk assessments for all of the Company’s catchments by 31 December 2021. The review or completion of new risk assessments (as applicable where risk assessments are found to be absent) must include the following risks that the Inspectorate has found to be deficient:
Risks that require review or to be carried out:
- Ground truthing/site walkovers of hazards;
- Review of land usage hazards;
- Source-pathway risk analysis of identified catchment hazards;
- Risk from Cryptosporidium and turbidity;
- Risk from proximity or Source Protection Zone 1 hazards;
- Abstraction point site inspections: risk to borehole headworks (including flooding (pluvial and fluvial), ingress, borehole integrity and air vents), including review of the suitability of control measures in place (such as site drainage and maintenance inspections); and
- Risk from on-site stores of effluent (e.g. cess pits/septic tanks), including suitability of any control measures in place.
- The Company should prioritise the required risk assessment review or new risk assessments on the basis of risk or perceived raw water challenge.
- As soon as reasonably practicable after carrying out the above mentioned risk assessment or review of a risk assessment (as applicable), Portsmouth Water Ltd shall submit to the Inspectorate on behalf of the Secretary of State a report of the risk assessments and/or of the review of a risk assessments (as applicable) in accordance with regulation 28. This shall be accompanied by a signed board level declaration.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State.
Deputy Chief Inspector
22 December 2020