THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS 2016 (AS AMENDED)
NOTICE UNDER REGULATION 28(4)
SEVERN TRENT WATER LIMITED, REGISTERED COMPANY 02366686: HATTON WATER TREATMENT WORKS
Hatton WTW T0126
Control Groups: Hatton
Water Accountability Zones: Stratford (SEV17)
DWI Reference: SVT-2018-00004
THE SECRETARY OF STATE:
- has received a report from Severn Trent Water Limited (the “company”) dated 04 October 2018 (the “Report”) which states that there is or has been a significant risk of supplying water from Hatton treatment works that could constitute a potential danger to human health.
- GIVES NOTICE to the company under regulation 28(4) of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016 (as amended) that it must satisfy the following requirements:
For risks associated with:
(a) to maintain the following measures for the period specified:
- Sample monitoring.
- Monitoring customer complaints on taste and odour issues.
- Compliance with local codified procedures for chlorination and catchment surveillance, including training of operational staff.
- Continue to operate existing treatment systems to optimise performance.
- Regularly appraise risk.
(b) to review, revise and/or make operational the following measures, by the date specified below:
- Review the optimisation and management of the output of sources supplying Hatton works and any other options for blending with existing assets to confirm the need for investment in new treatment.
Date: 30 June 2019 (Complete)
- Complete feasibility study of the proposed Reverse Osmosis and alternative treatment solution.
Date: 31 July 2020 (Complete)
- Confirm outline of design and expected start date for construction of the agreed solution.
Date: 31 July 2022
- Complete construction and commissioning of the agreed solution.
Date: 31 March 2025
(c) to audit whether the measures have been effective by the following means:
- Define and keep under continuous review an audit strategy to monitor the effectiveness of the above measures.
Date: 31 March 2020 (Complete)
- Implement the audit strategy defined in (c)1.
Date: For the duration of the Notice.
(d) not to supply water for regulation 4(1) purposes from Hatton treatment works:
- Not applicable
(e) to provide the following information in the time and manner specified below to enable monitoring of progress towards the mitigation of the risk of supplying water that would constitute a potential danger to human health:
- Provide a progress report annually by 31 January and against the following milestones:
- Provide evidence of the review in (b)1 above and any actions being taken as a result of the review.
Date: 31 July 2019(Complete)
- Confirmation of the appropriateness of the proposed solution and details of the strategy for auditing the effectiveness of the measures to be made operational.
Date: 30 April 2020(Complete)
- Confirm completion of design and expected start date for construction of the proposed solution.
Date: 31 August 2022
- Confirm completion of construction and commissioning of the proposed solution.
Date: 30 April 2025
- Review the risk assessment for Hatton treatment works as required by regulation 27(3) and subsequently submit a revised regulation 28 report accompanied by a signed board level declaration.
Date: From time to time and by 30 June 2025
- Submit a satisfactory completion report.
Date: 30 April 2026
Failure by the company to comply with this Notice may result in enforcement proceedings under section 18 of the Water Industry Act 1991.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Deputy Chief Inspector
15 October 2020
DWI Reference: SVT-2018-00004