Notice Reference: DWR-2022-00001
Notice under regulation 6(14) of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations (Wales) 2018 (“the Regulations”)
Radioactivity Monitoring of Water Supplies
- Water Undertaker as appointed under section 6 of the Water Industry Act 1991 (as amended): Dwr Cymru Cyfyngedig, with registered number 02366777 (hereinafter called ‘the Company’).
- This notice is made by the Welsh Ministers under the power in regulation 6(14) of the Regulations. It takes effect from 05 May 2022 and it will expire on 04 May 2027, unless otherwise withdrawn.
- Regulation 6(9) to (17) of the Regulations relates to the monitoring by water companies of radioactive parameters in the water supply zones they supply. Specifically, regulation 6 requires water companies to monitor parameters for indicative dose, radon, and tritium.
- Regulation 6(14) of the Regulations provides that the Welsh Ministers may notify a water company that a radioactive parameter need not be monitored if they are satisfied that, for the period specified in the notice and for the purposes of regulation 4(1), the water supplied to that zone:
- gives rise to a calculated indicative dose that is below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- contains levels of radon that are below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- contains levels of tritium that are below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- Based on the evidence presented by the Company, the Welsh Ministers have established that the water supply zones listed in the Schedule to this notice contains levels of indicative dose, radon, and tritium that are below the prescribed concentration or value in the Schedule 2 table.
- Accordingly, for the period the notice has effect, the Company need not conduct regulatory monitoring for indicative dose, radon, and tritium for the sites listed in the Schedule to this notice.
- Pursuant to regulation 6(16) of the Regulations, the Welsh Ministers must, by notice in writing, withdraw this notice if they have reason to believe that water supplied to the zone in question, for regulation 4(1) purposes, gives rise to a calculated indicative dose, or contains levels of radon or tritium, which are likely to exceed the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- In the event that this notice is withdrawn under regulation 6(16), the Company must monitor for the relevant parameter(s) in accordance with Tables 2 and 3 in Schedule 3 to the Regulations.
Chief Inspector of Drinking Water for the Welsh Ministers.
Date: 30 June 2022