Notice Reference: HDC-2023-00001
Radioactivity Monitoring of Water Supplies
NOTICE UNDER REGULATION 6(14) OF THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS (WALES) 2018 (“THE REGULATIONS”)
- Water Undertaker as appointed under section 6 of the Water Industry Act 1991 (as amended): Hafren Dyfrdwy Cyfyngedig, with registered number 3527628 (hereinafter called ‘the Company’).
- This notice is made by the Welsh Ministers under the power in regulation 6(14) of the Regulations. It takes effect from 30 September 2023 and it will expire on 30 September 2028, unless otherwise withdrawn.
- Regulation 6(9) to (17) of the Regulations relates to the monitoring by water companies of radioactive parameters in the water supply zones they supply. Specifically, regulation 6 requires water companies to monitor parameters for indicative dose, radon, and tritium.
- Regulation 6(14) of the Regulations provides that the Welsh Ministers may notify a water company that a radioactive parameter need not be monitored if they are satisfied that, for the period specified in the notice and for the purposes of regulation 4(1), the water supplied to that zone:
- gives rise to a calculated indicative dose that is below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- contains levels of radon that are below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- contains levels of tritium that are below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- Based on the evidence presented by the Company, the Welsh Ministers have established that the water supplied to the water supply zones listed in the Schedule to this Notice contains levels of totalindicative dose , Tritium and Radon that are below the prescribed concentration or value in the Schedule 2 table.
- Accordingly, for the period the Notice has effect, the Company need not conduct regulatory monitoring for totalindicative dose , Tritium and Radon for the sites listed in the Schedule to this Notice.
- Pursuant to regulation 6(16) of the Regulations, the Welsh Ministers must, by notice in writing, withdraw this Notice if they have reason to believe that water supplied to the zone in question, for regulation 4(1) purposes, gives rise to a calculated indicative dose, or contains levels of radon or tritium which are likely to exceed the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- In the event that this Notice is withdrawn under regulation 6(16), the Company must monitor the relevant parameter(s) in accordance with Tables 2 and 3 in Schedule 3 to the Regulations.
Chief Inspector of Drinking Water, for the Welsh Ministers
02 October 2023