DRINKING WATER INSPECTORATE
DWI Ref: ICW-2020-00001
10 March 2020
Mr Raoul De Lange
Legal Regulatory Director
96a Cardiff Road
Dear Mr De Lange
Radioactivity Monitoring – The Requirements of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016 (as amended)
On 19 February 2020, Icosa Water submitted an application to the Drinking Water Inspectorate requesting a notice under regulation 6(12) of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016 (as amended) (“the Regulations”). If granted, such a notice exempts water companies from monitoring radioactive parameters in listed sites during the specified period. A notice is only issued if the relevant requirements in regulation 6(12) are met.
The Inspectorate has assessed your company’s application and is satisfied that the requirements in regulation 6(12) of the Regulations are met. Therefore, please find enclosed with this letter:
- a notice from the Inspectorate, issued pursuant to regulation 6(12) of the Regulations (“the Notice”); and
- a Schedule to the Notice listing the Icosa Water sites to which the Notice applies, as well as the parameters for each site (“the Schedule”).
If a site is not listed in the Schedule, it is not covered by the Notice and will require monitoring for radioactivity parameters in accordance with the Regulations.
The Notice takes effect from 01 January 2020 and supersedes any previous radioactivity notices issued under the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2000, as amended.
The Notice will expire on 31 December 2024 unless withdrawn by the Inspectorate under regulation 6(14) of the Regulations.
If, on expiration of the Notice, your company wishes to reapply for a new notice, the Inspectorate should receive your application at least three months before the Notice expires.
During the period the Notice is in effect, we recommend that companies carry out an operational monitoring programme to demonstrate that there has been no significant change to the circumstances on which the Notice has been granted. For further information on this, please see the Guidance on the Regulations (which can be found at http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/stakeholders/guidance-and-codes-of-practice/wswq/index.html).
If you have any questions about this letter, or the enclosed Notice or Schedule, please contact myself.
CC Mr Keith Edwards, Icosa Water
CC Joanna Hunt, Company Liaison Inspector
CC Ann Bunting, Deputy Liaison Inspector
NOTICE UNDER REGULATION 6(12) OF THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS 2016 (AS AMENDED) (“THE REGULATIONS”)
RADIOACTIVTY MONITORING OF WATER SUPPLIES
- This notice is made by the Secretary of State under the power in regulation 6(12) of the Regulations. It takes effect from 01 January 2020 and supersedes all previous radioactivity notices issued under the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2000, as amended. It will expire on 31 December 2024, unless otherwise withdrawn.
- Regulation 6(7) to (15) of the Regulations relates to the monitoring by water companies of radioactive parameters in the water supply zones they supply. Specifically, regulation 6 requires water companies to monitor parameters for indicative dose, radon and tritium.
- Regulation 6(12) of the Regulations provides that the Secretary of State may notify a water company that a radioactive parameter need not be monitored if he is satisfied that, for the period specified in the notice and for the purposes of regulation 4(1), the water supplied to that zone:
- gives risk to a calculated indicative dose that is below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 to the Regulations;
- contains levels of radon that are below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 to the Regulations;
- contains levels of tritium that are below the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 to the Regulations.
- Based on the evidence presented by Icosa Water, the Secretary of State, is satisfied that the water supplied to the water supply zones listed in the Schedule to the Notice (“the Schedule”) contains levels of total indicative dose , Tritium and Radon that are below the parametric values specified in the relevant part of Schedule 2 to the Regulations.
- Accordingly, for the period the Notice has effect, Icosa Water need not conduct regulatory monitoring for total indicative dose , Tritium and Radon for the sites listed in the Schedule.
- Pursuant to regulation 6(14) of the Regulations, the Secretary of State must, by notice in writing, withdraw this notice if he has reason to believe that water supplied to the zone in question, for regulation 4(1) purposes, gives rise to a calculated indicative dose, or contains levels of radon or tritium which are likely to exceed the parametric value specified in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
- In the event that this notice is withdrawn under regulation 6(14), Icosa Water must monitor the relevant parameter in accordance with Tables 2 and 3 in Schedule 3 to the Regulations.
Chief Inspector of Drinking Water for the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
10 March 2020
THE WATER SUPPLY (WATER QUALITY) REGULATIONS 2016 (AS AMENDED): RADIOACTIVTY MONITORING OF WATER SUPPLIES
Schedule to the Notice (ref ICW-2020-00001) under Regulation 6(12) of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016 (as amended)
Gross α, gross β, Total Indicative Dose